Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Boundaries and French Fries

Yes, the little man has begun to test his boundaries.  Need I really say more? Each incidence has occurred around the possession of a toy.  Tian clearly understands when we instruct him to not do something.  For instance, he was playing with an Aqua Doodle and decided it would be more fun to mark other things.  When we said 'no', he was energized with a mission of 'yes'.  Once the marker was temporarily put away, the pitiful moaning cry began.  It does last a little while.  We hold him and try our best to comfort him.  Parenting a post-institutionalized child follows a different set of parenting rules.  We have educated ourselves on best practices and we rely on common sense and the Lord's leading for the rest.
 
Second incident occurred at bed.  I do not have one child who goes to bed without a fight.  Tian is the same.  The end of playtime with the prospect of bedtime was more than he could handle.  We both held him in bed as his cries crescendo-ed. Sleep eventually came to Daddy first, then to Tian!
 
On a different note, Tian loves french fries and ketchup.  At dinner, he stopped eating anything that was authentic Chinese food and devoured as many fries as we could reasonably allow.  The funniest part was watching him double and triple dip the ketchup, only to suck the ketchup from the fry and sweep it through the ketchup again.  If you could have only heard his moans of pleasure.  How comforting it is to me that he will like at least one thing is his new home!  (Chris and I were thankful for the fries too.  We were a little "China'd- out" yesterday.)
 
In addition, PlayDoh is a big hit.  He and I played for awhile.  It was hilarious to him when he destroyed my creations, some even before I finished them. I recorded him playing with a car I crafted for him.  He added a million accessories to it. As I watched, he would add something like headlights and tell me about it.  I hope that I can post the video later today.
 
Skype is our best friend here as we are able to see our girls daily.  We miss them terribly!  Olivia recognizes us even though she is so young.  Once she hears our voices, she begins to smile and wave her arms in delight.  What I would not give to kiss her fat cheeks today and hold her.  Hannah is enamored with seeing us and watching herself.  We miss Hannah terribly.  She entertains us so much.  We are constantly throwing virtual kisses and hugs across the computer screens. 
 
We are off to the Great Wall today!! I cannot wait.  I'll definitely post a few pictures.
 
 
I know that our girls are safe and loved, but separation from them is not something I endure well.  I have children because I adore being WITH them.  Now to be able to return home with ALL of them...I cannot thank God enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment