Monday, August 24, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Cutie Patootie

Imagine a tall circular building reaching high in the sky. It is colored blue, gold and green in a beautiful Chinese design. Around it's base are three layers of marble platforms, each a mathematically concentric circle(multiples of nine). Described is the infamous Temple of Heaven. Our visit was interesting, but I'll just end my synopsis with: "I am glad my God reigns!" Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the cultural lessons and the chance to witness the serenity of the park there. I just much prefer my faith and my heart is heavy for those who do not.

Our favorite observation was of the differing activities in the park. Retired people, many who looked really young to me, were participating in games, dance, tai chi, singing, needlework and the playing of instruments, cards, and dominoes. There were crowds of people who evidently do these communal activities every day. I would love to see this happen in my home town or even my church family. Obviously, activities could not be attended everyday, but the opportunities to share would be available.

From the beginning of this process, we were somehow able to get an expedited Chinese passport for Tian. We will be leaving Beijing tomorrow and traveling to Guangzhou to apply for Tian's US visa. We are eager to see how Tian handles the flight. Since he has only known orphanage life for the last three years, we are indeed monitoring what we think he can handle. So far, our boy is amazing us with his ability to tolerate the hectic schedule and crowds. We are educated enough to realize that he may only be "surviving" for now. Regardless, he is an amazing little boy!

Daddy has taught Tian to wink. Our guide is even calling him "Lady-killer" as she too is a witness to his effect on the ladies here. He plays shy, shares a few smiles here and there...and before we know it...he is surrounded by the waitresses or the ladies working each tourist attraction. He has been given too much candy and lots of kisses. It's clear he prefers the candy! I just shake my head as I have no clue what the ladies are telling him.

We hope to be able to update our blog once we move to our new location, although we make no promises. Thank you for continuing to pray for us.

Hannah and Olivia, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment