Friday, August 21, 2009

Mr. Soy Sauce

We started our morning early again.  While waiting for breakfast, I listened to two very fitting songs. The first was "God Bless the USA".  I sang it to Tian while he looked at me like I was crazy.  I always appreciate our country more when I am outside of it. 

The second song is the theme song to the Curious George movie.  It is entitled, "Upside Down", and it talks about being so curious that one will turn the world upside down to discover new things. "Who's to say what's impossible...what can't be found...I wanna turn the whole thing upside down.  I'll find the things they say just can't be found...I'll share this love I'll find with everyone..."

In China, almost everything is a symbol for something.  This song symbolizes Tian's new behavior.  He is turning the hotel room upside down and running Daddy ragged (big Mommy smile here).  His curiosity cannot be quenched.  It is fascinating to watch.  He continues to test his boundaries, talk to us endlessly, beg to be chased, make the biggest mess you've ever seen at meals, etc.  Meanwhile, we have turned his world upside down, so we think he is pretty amazing to handle this as well as he is.  Of course, we give full credit to God for everything!

Tian is fun to watch at meals.  We'll be happier when he's no longer a menace to the waitstaff and only to Mommy's kitchen.  He enjoys trying new foods.  One time he began dipping his chicken in soy sauce.  Before we could stop him, he buried a large soup spoon in the soy sauce and filled his mouth with it. I wish I had the camera in hand at that moment.  Sometimes curiosity does bad things to the cat!

Yesterday as I climbed a portion of the Great Wall, I contemplated a few things.  The wall is made up of steep and less steep inclines as well as short and deep steps.  Some of the way is narrow, some is wide.  This adoption journey has felt the same. There have been long exhausting climbs with small steps and huge steps. The way has seemed wide and the finish line is often in the distance. Our journey has moved to a new level, but it really just begins.  We look forward to the day when we reach the top and we can look back at all the steps and appreciate all that made us into what God had planned all along. 

Today we visited the Summer Palace and a Pearl Market. I had some fun negotiating the price of a couple sets of pearls.  I ran Chris off since his negotiation skills are not very good. I looked back to check on them later and they were surrounded by ladies. Now I have two "ladykillers" to keep up with. Really, Tian has been admired by everyone. Between Hannah, Olivia, and now Tian, I may never be able to go out in public without politely endulging strangers who want to talk to my precious children.

Tomorrow we are off to the museum and looking forward to a visit with a dear friend who teaches here.

PS Chris is listening to "Bad to the Bone" right now while Tian is climbing all over his Daddy.

1 comment:

  1. We are all praying for all of you. Hope the journey continues to go well and we can't wait until we can meet the newest to the Rowell clan. We love you all and look forward to your safe return.
    Love,
    "Auntie" Mary and "Uncle" Byran

    ReplyDelete